CHOCOLATE YULE LOG
CHOCOLATE YULE LOG
Christmas classic and a must try this festive season. A rich, fudgey and decadent chocolate roll cake filled with a creamy chocolate frosting⠀⠀⠀
All vegan, gluten free and refined sugar free as always 😋 Super simple ingredients, yet so delicious.
- PREP TIME 15 min
- COOK TIME 35 min
- DECORATION 10 min
- TOTAL TIME 60 min
- SERVES 6 People
- 100g oat flour (1/2 cup + 1/3 cup )
- 40g cacao powder (1/2 cup, I used 35g cacao, 5 carob)
- 38g tapioca starch (1/3 cup) or corn starch
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 150g plant milk (1/2 cup + 2 tbsp)
- 55g cashew/almond butter (1/4 cup)
- 50g coconut sugar (1/4 + 2tbsp cup)
- 150 applesauce ( 1/2 + 2 tbsp)
- 1/2 tbsp lemon juice
- 175g coconut oil
- 20g cocoa powder
- 60g coconut sugar
- 80g cashew butter
FOR THE SPONGE CAKE
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the oat flour, cocoa powder, tapioca starch, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Whisk until no lumps remain.
- In a blender combine the cashew/almond butter, coconut sugar, applesauce, plant milk and lemon juice
- Pour the wet ingredients to the dry and stir to combine, aand then pour into a rectangular baking tray lined with baking paper.
- Bake for 35 minutes at 180C/350F or until a toothpick comes out clean. Remove from the oven, dust a little oat flour on top, lay baking paper on a flat surface and flip the cake onto the paper. Peel off the top layer of baking paper, dust with little oat flour and place another sheet of baking paper on top of the cake. Using a rolling pin carefully roll the cake over the pin and wrap with a tea towel. Leave to cool down for about 20 minutes.
- Once cooled carefully unroll the cake and spread with 3/4 of the frosting leaving 1/4 to frost the top of the log. Using the help of the paper carefully roll the cake into a roll. Even if it cracks, keep rolling as tightly as you can. Wrap in baking paper and cling film (or place in small bread tray, the same size as the log) and put into fridge for at least 4 hours or overnight to set. The longer it sets, the neater slices .
- Once set, place onto a serving dish and spread the frosting on the outside using a spatula. Use a fork and drag it across the log. Serve with vegan cream or icecream.
FOR THE FROSTING
- Blend all ingredients in a food processor until smooth
- Even if Christmas has passed, I highly recommend you try this recipe to replace your colin the caterpillar cake
- If you like brownies, I promise you, you will like this Chocolate yule log recipe. It’s super rich, moist and fudgey, ultra indulgent.
- I serve mine heated up slightly with a scoop of vegan vanilla icecream or oatly cream. It is pure heaven.
- If you try this, tag me @prispuddings on social media and let me know how it goes!